Friday, January 11, 2013

“You know everything about keeping myself healthy – the doctor won’t be able to tell me how to do that!”


I felt highly complimented during a telephone consultation with a client earlier this week, when they made the above comment to me.  I was also delighted to acknowledge the willingness to take self-responsibility for one’s own health that it displayed.  This lovely lady first came to see me about 10 years ago and using both Nutrition and Naturopathy was able to improve the health issues she was suffering, not discussed here for confidentiality purposes, obviously. My client has given full permission for this post.

Fresh Nutrition is a brightly coloured, alkalising and delicious way to help us keep our energy and our immune system at a consistently high level.  Naturopathy as a range of techniques is a tool kit that helps us to detoxify the body of the acidity that has created unmanageable symptoms of illness.  This lady returned to me for a refresher session to remind her to find some time to get back on track with the Naturopathy as a support, as her diet was already ‘clean’ but stressful circumstances had contributed to growing acidity which was causing uncomfortable symptoms and a visit to the GP in December had not proved productive.

It is so important too, to look at the mental/emotional balance and whilst recognising that time was needed for Naturopathy, this lady also admitted that time was needed for inner reflection, acknowledging her feelings and also for Creativity.  There are many ways available to us now to honour this aspect of our being and establish how our emotional life may be draining our physical body.  Certainly, in all the cases I have taken over the years, it seems clear that there is nothing more acidifying to the body than stressful events and circumstances resulting in negative thought patterns, which prevent us from living with joy and health in the now.

The second part of the statement though is a sad one; that doctors are not associated in the truest sense of the meaning in helping us keep ourselves healthy.  They have an arsenal of drugs now - which can suppress a multitude of symptoms that have arisen once we are unhealthy, or remove organs which seem past redemption, but there is very little in these approaches which will help us return to a full picture of vibrant health, or help us take responsibility for doing so ourselves.

It takes both time and commitment to ‘Look After You’ but long term the benefits of doing so as we get older are enormous!  My father was 80 years old in December and he is still working part time as a self-employed accountant.  He is healthy and mentally well and alert and has no chronic health problems – therefore, he does not take any drugs and has not had any surgery.  I believe he has achieved that state of health at that age, mainly through a freshly prepared diet which is largely vegetarian and high in fruit and vegetables, along with a range of supplements and the moderate exercise he takes each day with his beloved dog.  Many people were surprised that he was that age when his birthday was mentioned last year, he certainly does not look it and he moves with ease, though perhaps a tiny bit less speed these days!

My mother is in her early 70's and equally healthy and as vital and lively as many people 50 years younger, the hours she spends gardening would outpace most people, and the approach she took to supporting well-being by always researching alternative remedies rather than seeking medical suppression was a useful example that has been of great benefit to me and my family.

It is my parents’ early role modelling which has motivated me over the years to maintain health through what I eat and how I seek to support it and I am grateful for that inspiration – my only wish is to help and encourage others to do the same if they seek out my services and to endeavour to share everything I know about how to keep healthy!

No comments: